Image Credits

PHOTOlog | gingerbread house in winter MEDONTE

PHOTOlog | gingerbread house in winter MEDONTE

ontario gothic farmhouse, historical mill

Paint required in Hillsdale, Ontario. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, September 2011


ontario gothic farmhouse in winter, gingerbread bargeboard
Cozy brick farmhouse tucked against a ridge on Line 8 North. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, February 2015

SIMCOE County | Medonte Township

PHOTOlog | stop this time CHINGUACOUSY SOUTH

PHOTOlog | stop this time CHINGUACOUSY SOUTH

georgian architecture, museum at christmas

Christmas decor at historical Bovaird House, built 1852 in Brampton, by baker Peter Chisholm. This Georgian home features a McLaughlin cutter (sleigh), the remnants of an apple orchard, and early commercial baking implements. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, December 2014

pre-Confederation architecture, octagonal house, near Toronto

Early Octagonal House at 8273 Heritage Road, built about 1854 by Samuel McClure. French double doors are centered in each of the three sides which face the road. On the “commute”? Stop once. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, June 2015

PEEL County | Chinguacousy South Township

PHOTOlog | school’s out CALEDON

PHOTOlog | school’s out CALEDON

caledon, historical, schoolhouse, bell tower, brickwork, buttress, pre-Confederation

Silver Creek Schoolhouse, S.S. No. 3, a private residence since 1967. Original schoolhouse built 1842, and the discovery of partially-scorched internal beams, indicate the structure may have been rebuilt at an early point. An unusual feature is its attached buttresses. It operated as a school until 1960, thereafter offered at public tender as a Centennial Project. The owners built an exact replica of the earlier bell tower. Obscured by trees in summer! Photo credit: Lisa Rance, April 2011

PEEL County | Caledon Township

PHOTOlog | early settlement on old waterways INNISFIL

colonial history, historical Canadian waterways

Innisfil township overlooks Cook’s Bay on Lake Simcoe – an important historic waterway – Samuel de Champlain came through here as did Sir John Franklin. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, May 2015


early Ontario fieldstone construction, first post office, fire
One of four heritage-designated buildings in Innisfil, the 1841 Barclay House, the township’s first post office, was destroyed by fire on New Year’s Eve 2014. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, March 2016

SIMCOE County | Innisfil Township

PHOTOlog | yellow brick relief GORE OF TORONTO

PHOTOlog | yellow brick relief GORE OF TORONTO

georgian, brickwork, side lights, pre-Confederation

When it was for sale in 2010, the property description for this, the historic Odlum House, built 1862, started: “First time in 148 years on MLS…”. (This was the first time this woman purchased more than $10 in lottery tickets at one time). At 3 Lucinda Court, Brampton, within a new estate of executive homes. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, December 2014

PEEL County | Gore of Toronto Township

PHOTOlog | the heights, the “bench” NIAGARA

PHOTOlog | the heights, the “bench” NIAGARA

Loyalist history, Niagara, vineyard, historical-preservation

The William Woodruff House, built 1827 at St. Davids “bench” (a sheltered ridge in the Niagara Escarpment). Dismantled in 1969 and moved to three separate owners throughout Ontario, it has been subsequently returned and rebuilt in 2009 at Ravine Vineyards, 1000m from its original location. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, February, 2012

Niagara Gorge, Queenston Heights, autumn

View from the “American side” – the Heights of Queenston, “scaled” by many armies. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, October 2011

LINCOLN County | Niagara Township

PHOTOlog | another B&B missed LUTHER

PHOTOlog | another B&B missed LUTHER

pre-Confederation log cabin, rural ontario

This bed and breakfast was for sale in 2015, c. 1860 log cabin south of Damascus village on the west side 8924 Wellington Rd. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, April 2015

WELLINGTON County | Luther Township

PHOTOlog | sunset on second empire VESPRA

PHOTOlog | sunset on second empire VESPRA

second-empire architecture, ontario, canada

Second-Empire architectural style – Lount’s Castle was the home of parliamentarian William Lount – built for him in 1877 at a high point in Barrie, curiously now called Valley Drive. For many years it was divided as apartments, now being restored (2015). Photo credit: Lisa Rance, April 2012

SIMCOE County | Vespra Township

PHOTOlog | timber lost FLOS

PHOTOlog | timber lost FLOS

early lumber industry, ontario history

A distant pastoral scene in Flos Township belies this area’s origins as prime timberland in the 1870’s. The Flos lumber mills supplied building materials to all Great Lakes ports via Mr. O. A. Phelps (Phelpston). An M.P.P. for Simcoe County, Mr. Phelps had business holdings in Niagara, and operated his own fleet of ships! Flos ancestors are sure to have participated in these enterprises, and felt the loss of this industry to devastating forest fires. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, August 2015

SIMCOE County | Flos Township

PHOTOlog | unpretentious homestead LAXTON

PHOTOlog | unpretentious homestead LAXTON

fieldstone home, karwartha lakes

Otter Lane stone house, for sale in 2015 for $250k. Someone’s long-time home with beautiful gardens. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, September 2015

VICTORIA County | Laxton Township