church

PHOTOlog | beaverdams and “holland” WELLAND

Niagara stone house, Loyalist, War of 1812

The Jacob Upper House started 1809 and finished at the completion of the War of 1812, with a total of seven fireplaces. The Uppers were Captains in the 2nd Lincoln Militia. At this time the area was known as Holland, and the road known as the Holland Road, and the local gathering place – the Black Horse Tavern. The village of Allanburgh came later with the building of the Welland Canal. The house remains in the possession of Upper descendants. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, December 2013

Niagara Historic church, United Empire Loyalists, Methodist meeting house

The Beaverdams Methodist Meeting House, built 1832 at the convergence of ancient trails and waterways; many United Empire Loyalist families congregated here. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, December 2013

WELLAND County | Thorold Township

PHOTOlog | 150 years BRUCE

kinlough, ontario, historical, church, anniversary, brickwork

Kinlough Presbyterian Church, built 1863, at its 150th anniversary. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, October 2013

BRUCE County | Kinloss Township

PHOTOlog | church demolition OXFORD

Demolition of historic church, Woodstock, Ontario

Woodstock St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church fa├žade ruin. Demolished 2011. The remains in the accompanying cemetery were re-interred 1935. Photo credit: Lisa Rance May 2012

OXFORD County | Oxford East Township

PHOTOlog | war memorial windows GREY

Meaford, Ontario, world war 2, stained glass, window, memorial, church

European medieval glass Memorial windows in Christ Church, Meaford. The windows were fashioned from shards collected by the church’s chaplain in the Second World War. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, September 2011. Continue Reading

PHOTOlog | historical church on the move OXFORD

historic church moved to site of norwich, ontario museum

The Norwich Gore Methodist Church, built 1861, was moved to Norwich village in March, 2011. The operation had relied on just enough frost to remain in the farm fields to support the float. Photo credit: Lisa Rance March 2011

OXFORD County | Norwich North Township

PHOTOlog | meeting-house LENNOX-ADDINGTON

historical church, Adolphustown, Loyalist

Hay Bay Meeting House, established 1792, Canada’s first Methodist chapel. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, July 2010

LENNOX-ADDINGTON County | Adolphustown Township