county-peel

PHOTOlog | stop this time CHINGUACOUSY SOUTH

PHOTOlog | stop this time CHINGUACOUSY SOUTH

georgian architecture, museum at christmas

Christmas decor at historical Bovaird House, built 1852 in Brampton, by baker Peter Chisholm. This Georgian home features a McLaughlin cutter (sleigh), the remnants of an apple orchard, and early commercial baking implements. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, December 2014

pre-Confederation architecture, octagonal house, near Toronto

Early Octagonal House at 8273 Heritage Road, built about 1854 by Samuel McClure. French double doors are centered in each of the three sides which face the road. On the “commute”? Stop once. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, June 2015

PEEL County | Chinguacousy South Township

PHOTOlog | school’s out CALEDON

PHOTOlog | school’s out CALEDON

caledon, historical, schoolhouse, bell tower, brickwork, buttress, pre-Confederation

Silver Creek Schoolhouse, S.S. No. 3, a private residence since 1967. Original schoolhouse built 1842, and the discovery of partially-scorched internal beams, indicate the structure may have been rebuilt at an early point. An unusual feature is its attached buttresses. It operated as a school until 1960, thereafter offered at public tender as a Centennial Project. The owners built an exact replica of the earlier bell tower. Obscured by trees in summer! Photo credit: Lisa Rance, April 2011

PEEL County | Caledon Township

PHOTOlog | yellow brick relief GORE OF TORONTO

PHOTOlog | yellow brick relief GORE OF TORONTO

georgian, brickwork, side lights, pre-Confederation

When it was for sale in 2010, the property description for this, the historic Odlum House, built 1862, started: “First time in 148 years on MLS…”. (This was the first time this woman purchased more than $10 in lottery tickets at one time). At 3 Lucinda Court, Brampton, within a new estate of executive homes. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, December 2014

PEEL County | Gore of Toronto Township

photolog | doing the town CHINGUACOUSY NORTH

photolog | doing the town CHINGUACOUSY NORTH

chinguacousy, historical, commercial building, town center

The commercial center of Cheltenham village was much reduced by an 1887 fire, but its size in 1859 was nearly as large as the nearby County seat. The depiction is a Brampton-Queen Street commercial block in 1858 (inset from the Tremaine map). Note the winter method of transportation. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, September 2013

PEEL County | Chinguacousy North Township

PHOTOlog | old meadowvale village TORONTO NORTH

PHOTOlog | old meadowvale village TORONTO NORTH

early ontario coaching inn, meadowvale village

Old Meadowvale Village: The Commercial Hotel, built by Matthew Laidlaw in 1852. Has been subdivided into apartments and was for sale in 2011 for 1.2M. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, February 2013

worker's cottages, old meadowvale village, early industry near toronto

Worker’s Cottages, now a private family residence. Visited Old Meadowvale Village on a walking tour led by Matthew Wilkinson of Mississauga Heritage. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, February 2013

PEEL County | Toronto North Township

PHOTOlog | double front survey ALBION

PHOTOlog | double front survey ALBION

Irish immigration, early land surveying practices

Irish immigrants began arriving in North Albion about 1825 and the community of Sleswick had been established by the 1850’s. Surveyed after 1819, the New Survey was arranged in a new “double front” system whereby the traditional 200-acre rectangular lots were split and patented as square 100-acre half-lots, affording each owner frontage on a Concession road. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, April 2011

PEEL County | Albion Township