georgian

PHOTOlog | stop this time CHINGUACOUSY SOUTH

PHOTOlog | stop this time CHINGUACOUSY SOUTH

georgian architecture, museum at christmas

Christmas decor at historical Bovaird House, built 1852 in Brampton, by baker Peter Chisholm. This Georgian home features a McLaughlin cutter (sleigh), the remnants of an apple orchard, and early commercial baking implements. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, December 2014

pre-Confederation architecture, octagonal house, near Toronto

Early Octagonal House at 8273 Heritage Road, built about 1854 by Samuel McClure. French double doors are centered in each of the three sides which face the road. On the “commute”? Stop once. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, June 2015

PEEL County | Chinguacousy South Township

PHOTOlog | yellow brick relief GORE OF TORONTO

PHOTOlog | yellow brick relief GORE OF TORONTO

georgian, brickwork, side lights, pre-Confederation

When it was for sale in 2010, the property description for this, the historic Odlum House, built 1862, started: “First time in 148 years on MLS…”. (This was the first time this woman purchased more than $10 in lottery tickets at one time). At 3 Lucinda Court, Brampton, within a new estate of executive homes. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, December 2014

PEEL County | Gore of Toronto Township

PHOTOlog | the heights, the “bench” NIAGARA

PHOTOlog | the heights, the “bench” NIAGARA

Loyalist history, Niagara, vineyard, historical-preservation

The William Woodruff House, built 1827 at St. Davids “bench” (a sheltered ridge in the Niagara Escarpment). Dismantled in 1969 and moved to three separate owners throughout Ontario, it has been subsequently returned and rebuilt in 2009 at Ravine Vineyards, 1000m from its original location. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, February, 2012

Niagara Gorge, Queenston Heights, autumn

View from the “American side” – the Heights of Queenston, “scaled” by many armies. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, October 2011

LINCOLN County | Niagara Township

PHOTOlog | living history MIDDLESEX

PHOTOlog | living history MIDDLESEX

oldest continually operating water-powered flour mill, Ontario, Canada

Arva Flouring Mill, established 1819 on what was then Martin’s Creek in a community known as St. John’s., north of London. Photo credit: Lisa Rance June 2015

farmhouse older than the rest, near London, Ontario

Red brick house with NeoClassical door with sidelights, Prospect Hill Road. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, June 2015

MIDDLESEX County | London Township

PHOTOlog | contested yet immoveable border WELLAND

PHOTOlog | contested yet immoveable border WELLAND

war of 1812 battlefield, Lundy's Lane, memorial, bi-centennial

Commemorative banner over the commercial strip Lundy’s Lane at Drummond Hill, the site of the 1814 Battle. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, November 2014

niagara stone house, solid 3-foot thick walls, built 1825, georgian
The John Thompson house, built 1825 as the center of a large farm estate (Lot 108), remains cozy by virtue of its 3-foot-thick stone walls. 4891 Portage Road, Niagara Falls. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, February 2011

WELLAND County | Stamford Township

PHOTOlog | the short hills LINCOLN

PHOTOlog | the short hills LINCOLN

Niagara historic tavern, vineyard, Loyalist

The Mountainview tavern built at Short Hills by Henry Smith, a son of an United Empire Loyalist. in 1842. Now, the tasting room of Henry of Pelham Vineyards. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, July 2014

Niagara stone house, Loyalist, 2nd Lincoln militia

The Brown-Jouppien House, built by UEL Butler’s Ranger John Brown about 1797- 1802. The NeoClassical front was last-added in 1802 by the same masons and identical in detail to the nearby DeCew House. Both were important command posts in the War of 1812. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, May 2012

LINCOLN County | Louth Township

PHOTOlog | local militia re-enactment WELLAND

PHOTOlog | local militia re-enactment WELLAND

Niagara Parkway, War of 1812 Bi-Centennial Re-enactment, 2nd Lincoln Militia

Bi-Centennial re-enactment of the War of 1812 Battle of Chippawa, Niagara Parkway. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, July 2014

Georgian Loyalist architecture, Niagara Parkway, war of 1812, bed and breakfast
Many times occupied, but never burnt, the 1805 Strickler-Danner House is now a bed and breakfast. 12549 Niagara Parkway. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, February 2012

WELLAND County | Willoughby Township

PHOTOlog | prosperity LINCOLN

PHOTOlog | prosperity LINCOLN

Niagara historical fruit farm, Pennsylvania Dutch

The Dilman-Moyer House, established 1799 by this Pennsylvania Dutch (Mennonite) family. Cherry Avenue Farms, orchards and vineyards, operated by the 7th generation. 4303 Cherry Avenue, Vineland. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, July 2014

LINCOLN County | Clinton Township

PHOTOlog | outward bound from former outskirts TORONTO

Georgian pre-Confederation home in original location in North York, Gibson House museum

The David Gibson House, rebuilt in 1851 partially of stone from Lockport, New York. (There’s a story.) Gibson was the public land surveyor responsible for the laying out of townships and colonization roads in the counties of Bruce, Dufferin, Grey, Huron, Ontario, Wellington and Wentworth before 1856, and in the northern districts thereafter. In its original location at 5172 Yonge Street with development all ’round in 2013. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, April 2013


Toronto museum, Scottish food history in Canada, Robbie Burns Dinner
Haggis, ‘neeps and ‘tatties on the hearth at the David Gibson House Museum; Robbie Burns Dinner. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, January 2014

YORK County | York South West Township

PHOTOlog | beaverdams and “holland” WELLAND

PHOTOlog | beaverdams and “holland” WELLAND

Niagara stone house, Loyalist, War of 1812

The Jacob Upper House started 1809 and finished at the completion of the War of 1812, with a total of seven fireplaces. The Uppers were Captains in the 2nd Lincoln Militia. At this time the area was known as Holland, and the road known as the Holland Road, and the local gathering place – the Black Horse Tavern. The village of Allanburgh came later with the building of the Welland Canal. The house remains in the possession of Upper descendants. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, December 2013

Niagara Historic church, United Empire Loyalists, Methodist meeting house

The Beaverdams Methodist Meeting House, built 1832 at the convergence of ancient trails and waterways; many United Empire Loyalist families congregated here. Photo credit: Lisa Rance, December 2013

WELLAND County | Thorold Township